Monday, October 29, 2007

Non-flexible rules

Ordinarily, The Husband puts the kids on the bus in the mornings because I leave for work before he does. This morning, however, he had to leave extra early so I waited with them for the bus. The bus normally picks them up before 7:10 but by 7:20, it still hadn't shown. I knew I could not wait much longer so I drove the kids to school. There was very little traffic and I pulled up in front of the building to drop the kids. They ran down the sidewalk to the front door but it was locked. Apparently, we were 4 minutes early. So...I waited. I wasn't going to leave them outside unattended.

About 3 minutes passed and a woman knocked on my window. She works in the front office and informed me I could not park in front of the school. I told her I was just waiting for the kids to get into the school and I'd leave as soon as the door opened. She again told me I could not park in front of the school. I told the woman I was already pissed and I was not leaving until the kids were in the building. She informed me the doors would be opened at 7:30 and the kids could go in then. It was 7:29. I said "Fine - let the kids in and I'll move." She told me I could not park there because the buses need to go there. I looked around in a very animated manner so she would as well and informed her that there were, in fact, no buses in the vicinity...and that I would move if a bus were to arrive. Again, the woman told me I had to park elsewhere and that I was free to walk my children to the door. I remained in my vehicle and told her once more that I would go nowhere until the kids were INSIDE the school. She walked off. By now, there were quite a few children waiting to go into the building. The woman let herself in and locked the door behind her. WTF?! A few minutes later, the other woman opened the doors and let the children into the school.

Now - I have no problem with rules. Rules are good; they help maintain order. Generally speaking, I am a follower of rules. HOWEVER, I do have a problem with stupid rules that are otherwise inflexible. Who was I hurting by waiting? There were no buses dropping off. There were, however, other parents driving by and dropping their children. This other woman is a mom as well. She should understand a mother's reluctance to leave her young children unattended...especially in an area where, not long ago, a young girl who was left alone was brutally murdered. Schools are not safe havens...we all know that. Predators case schools - we know that too. When I was younger, I used to walk to school - along a busy road. Everyone in 3rd - 6th grade walked to school every day. There is no way I'd allow my kids to walk to school now.

1 comment:

I love comments; however, this is NOT the place to promote your blog or website. If you do, be aware your comment will be deleted. Please be respectful and use this space to for what it is intended.

Thanks!