Thursday, September 17, 2009

Clothing sizes


I can't exactly say I've always had a good self-image. It's not exactly bad, but it's not what most people would call healthy either. Of course, that might be because my body shape is not what one would call particularly healthy!

At a doctor visit this past year, my doctor wrote on my records that I am "mildly obese." Yuck. I mean, I knew that and all, but to see it in writing?! Ick!

I started losing weight. I'd love to tell you how that happened and inspire you to do the same if it is what you want, but, truth be told, I don't really know how it happened. I know we were trying the Zone diet and I think that had a lot to do with it...but I think it was more about being suddenly aware of portion sizes! I ate less. Period.

I did not lose all that much weight. To date, it's been about 13 lbs or so. I noticed, first, that my clothes fit better. Then, I noticed they didn't really fit well at all anymore. I went shopping with a friend who told me to try on pants a size smaller than I wear (most of my clothes were 12s). They fit, but they were loose at the waist. She told me to try another pair one size smaller. They fit perfectly. They were snug but in a good, comfy way. I was floored.

I have been shopping several times since that day and I am consistently wearing a size 8. BUT, here's the thing. I swear to you that a size 8 now is NOT the same as a size 8 a few years ago. When I got married (14 years and 20+ lbs ago), I was wearing some 8s but mostly 10s. This shift in clothing size is eye-opening to me. I was somewhat shocked with my discovery, but I know it must be true. I still own some older pieces that are 12s and I know I could NEVER fit into anything smaller.

About four years ago, I was in a store and the woman told me that, traditionally, their clothes were marked one size smaller than they actually were. That was *not* comforting to me when I was wearing those 12s and they were snug! It was a comment that stuck with me. Now, I think everyone is doing it.

So. How about it? Have you noticed an unexplainable change in your clothing size?


3 comments:

  1. I have noticed that! I have become less of a scale watcher and more of a how my clothes fit watcher :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your weight loss - that's always a good feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! i cleaned out my closet a few weeks ago, and WOW...i found a pair of pants from before kids. my oldest just made 17. the pants, a size 4. the waist looks like my 3 years waist size!
    I have 4's in my closet that fit right now, so i figured, oh, what the heck. i tried the old ones on (i would NEVER wear them, they are HIDEOUS! i also have NO idea how they have made it in my closet for THIS many years!)
    there is about 4" before they would button! AH hA! there IS a difference in sizes!!

    congrats on the weightloss and with wearing a smaller size! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments; however, this is NOT the place to promote your blog or website. If you do, be aware your comment will be deleted. Please be respectful and use this space to for what it is intended.

Thanks!