Saturday, November 28, 2009

Travelin' Turkey


Where to start? There has been so much going on…and much of it “blogworthy,” too, but there hasn’t been a whole lot of time.

Thanksgiving was nice. We went to The Mother-in-Law’s. Actually, that’s not entirely true. A while back, The Mother-in-Law’s husband was diagnosed with lymphoma. This was during the summer. Through some sort of miracle, he needed only two or three rounds of chemo. (He had been scheduled for six rounds but was given a clean bill of health after only two or three.) It was during those rounds of chemo that The Husband’s sister and I realized Thanksgiving would be too much for the Mother-in-Law. We decided to bring Thanksgiving to her. We knew we would still have it at her house – that was tradition – but we would bring all (or much) of the food to her. We decided who would cook what and all was set.

I might add here that this was planned back before I had a job!

I was supposed to cook the turkey, stuffing (although they all call it “dressing;” they have a right to be wrong), pumpkin pies, and homemade macaroni and cheese. The Husband’s sister was making all the other desserts, the salads, rolls, sweet potatoes, and beans. The Mother-in-Law made a ham and dumplings. (Have I mentioned this is country cooking?!)

About a week and a half ago, I called The Husband’s sister and told her that there was no way I could do the turkey. I have a job now and could not go out of town early to cook. What I did NOT know was that she would NOT make a turkey; she said it freaked her out to have to reach in there.

Remember I said this is country cooking? The Husband’s grandfather was a farmer. The Husband’s grandmother killed chickens on Sunday morning for Sunday dinner. They hunted. The Husband used to go hunting all the time. And yet, his sister is too squeamish to reach into a turkey to pull out the BAG of innards!

Long story short, the Mother-in-Law purchased the turkey and brought it to The Husband’s sister. The Husband’s sister thawed the turkey and brought it to me. I cooked the turkey and brought it BACK to the Mother-in-Law’s house. Bizarre? Yes. Tasty? Indeed.

Hope you all had a wonderful long weekend! I chose to stay OUT of the stores this weekend (except to buy groceries)!


2 comments:

  1. That sure was a traveling turkey - glad it was worth it. That was very thoughtful of y'all to cook for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made it through the Holiday with the Family. That is the most important part of it all!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments; however, this is NOT the place to promote your blog or website. If you do, be aware your comment will be deleted. Please be respectful and use this space to for what it is intended.

Thanks!