Monday, August 9, 2010

Groceries


I want to start this post with a disclaimer - which is code for "someone is going to be offended." It is not my intention to offend, but nonetheless, it will happen. In advance, I apologize to anyone I upset.

Now, I am not a small gal, by anyone's standards. In fact, if you were to classify me medically, you'd have to call me overweight. I was, for a time, obese, but I have lost about 20 lbs. To be classified as "normal," I'd have to drop another 20 lbs, and I just don't see that happening any time soon!

One of the ways I ended up losing weight was through diet (because it certainly was not from exercise) but not diet in the sense that I went "on a diet." I simply changed what I ate. I wrote about our change in diet here. It has been over a year and it has been a good change. Part of our diet is that we do what is called perimeter shopping, which means the majority of the foods we purchase can be found on the perimeter of the store. I rarely go down the aisles unless I need something specific. Nuts, detergent, dried fruits, and health & beauty items are some of the reasons I venture off the perimeter of the store.

The other day, I went to the grocery. I noticed a rather large woman with her large young son. For whatever reason, I immediately noticed the woman's cart. It was *filled* with soft drinks, processed foods, snacks, and the such. (And here is where people can and will get offended...) I had to ask myself if this woman realized what she was doing. I'm no saint. I love a sweet treat now and again, and, truth be told, ice cream is my big splurge. I justify it by buying all natural ice cream and convince myself it's not that bad for me. Hey - it's my denial here, so go with me!

Anyway, I know not all heavy people make poor food chioces and that there are, in fact, as many reasons to be heavy as there are heavy people. That being said, it saddens me to see people (regardless of size) put such unhealthy foods in their bodies and their kids' bodies. Actually, if you want to eat it, that is fine, but to give it to your kids who have no choice, well, I guess that is what really upsets me.

I'm sure I can go on and on about this (and piss off a WHOLE lot of people) so I won't. I will stop. I don't really have a point here, but it's my blog, so I don't have to have one!

3 comments:

  1. Nice post~ so true......Our kids watch every move we make. Your point is very valid. You can relate to the situation and understand how a simple lifestyle change can make a positive difference in the lives of our kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What disturbs me the most, well, not really the most, are Lunchables. I don't understand why one would spend the money on those when they can make a much healthier "version" themselves. How about some roasted chicken, some vegetables, and some cheese?

    Of course, this is easy for me to say because I have no children. But, that isn't by choice, so I still feel like I can have this opinion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to be a good influence on my kids,but as they get older...

    Just the other day my son says "your not eating ANY meat?!?! Have you LOST YOUR MIND?".

    When I see situations like the one you described, it makes me crazy too. Maybe those kids deserve a better chance at starting out. Maybe they deserve options. Maybe the mom WAS that kid and, even as an adult, doesn't know there are options and they are available to her too.

    Maybe (and it is my turn to piss someone off here) when she returns from the store her husband says "Where are the snacks? What are we supposed to EAT here?".

    ReplyDelete

I love comments; however, this is NOT the place to promote your blog or website. If you do, be aware your comment will be deleted. Please be respectful and use this space to for what it is intended.

Thanks!