Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Time Flies...


Today, The Girl turns 12. I can hardly believe it. These past twelve years have really flown by.

I remember vividly when I was pregnant with her, I *knew* she was a boy. I had just had a baby boy and I knew I was having another. No one had told me so; I refused to find out the gender of the baby during the ultrasound. I wanted it to be a surprise.

You see, deep down, I wanted a baby girl. I wanted one so much and I knew I wouldn't get one. It took me a long time to come to terms with that, too. I even told The Husband that I would love this little one as much as I loved The Boy, but that when *he* was born, I'd be disappointed. I told The Husband he'd have to be patient with me because it would take me a while to get over my disappointment and fall in love with this new baby boy.

We had a name picked for our second boy. It was Jarrett Nathaniel. In the delivery-OR (The Girl was delivered via scheduled c-section), I told The Husband I didn't really like the name anymore. It had taken us forever to come up with a boy's name, and here I was, on the delivery table, telling The Husband I no longer liked the name! It was in the middle of that conversation that the anesthesiologist looked at us and said, "It's a girl."

We were stunned into silence.

Not only was she a girl, she was a red-head. Not too long before, I'd given birth to a blonde-haired, blue-eyed boy. We were expecting another. Instead, we had a red-head with grey eyes...and she was a girl!

I cannot express the joy and elation I felt at that moment. The Husband told the doctor to go look again and find that boy we swore was in there!

And here we are, twelve years later, with an amazing young lady on our hands. She is strong, smart, beautiful, compassionate, friendly, warm, kind, athletic, and everything else a parent could want.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Muffin!

2 comments:

  1. Sending Happy Birthday wishes to your Girl!! She shares her birthday with my hubby (he's not 12) it's the big 40 for him this year.
    Eat lots of cake & enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to the whole family!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments; however, this is NOT the place to promote your blog or website. If you do, be aware your comment will be deleted. Please be respectful and use this space to for what it is intended.

Thanks!