Friday, May 6, 2011

"Cinco de Drinko"

I recently learned (and by recently, I mean yesterday) that Cinco de Mayo is not a big holiday in Mexico. Like many others, I thought it was their Independence Day (which, as it turns out, is September 16). Cinco de Mayo is a celebration of the Mexican militia's defeat of the French army at the Battle of Puebla. I learned all of this from my Puerto Rican friend who teaches Spanish.

It's not a big holiday in Mexico, except in Puebla and the area around it. And in the US.

It's HUGE here in the US, but then again, we're all about finding a holiday with which we can celebrate with drink!

Yesterday afternoon, a friend of mine texted me asking if I wanted to go to a particular Mexican restaurant for dinner. I wanted to go, but reminded her it was Cinco de Mayo. She didn't care. Neither did I.

There were five of us who went to dinner last night. To say we had fun would be a major understatement. I have spent the better part of every weekday evening with these women. We call ourselves the "Moms' Ball Social Club," or "Social Club" for short. We meet at football practice, basketball practice, and baseball practice. Since the baseball season has ended, we have found ourselves lost. This spontaneous evening out was just what we needed.

There was great food, a lot of laughter, drinks, and a ton of fun. One friend renamed the holiday "Cinco de Drinko." I believe it is a new tradition we will have to keep.

Hope you had a fun evening as well!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments; however, this is NOT the place to promote your blog or website. If you do, be aware your comment will be deleted. Please be respectful and use this space to for what it is intended.

Thanks!