Saturday, July 2, 2011

Thoughts about summer

I do love summer - and not just because I don't have to go to work everyday! I love the warm weather. I love how it stays light for so long. I love long evenings outside with the neighbors just hanging out. I love the lack of responsibility of summer and the ability to get up and go away on a whim. I love the beach, even though we are not going to be able to make the trek this year. I love pools and swimming and that sort of thing as well. I love reading for enjoyment! That is a rare gift.

I don't like the fact that, as I look at the calendar beside me, I see summer is half-way over. Summer here is shorter than it is elsewhere. Growing up (on the East Coast), summer was a good 11 weeks long. Here, it is not. Here, my summer break is 9 weeks long. I realize many jobs don't offer a "summer break" and I get that. It's definitely a perk of being a teacher. That being said, I want my other two weeks! I go back to work on August 1! That's ridiculous! (Although some schools not far from here go back in July, and they are not "year-round" schools!)

Another gripe I have is that with this schedule, it is incredibly difficult to get together with the rest of my family during the "summer." They are all still out east; that gives us ONE month in which we can attempt to find a span of time everyone is free. NOT easy.

OK - I'm finished complaining...for now. To those of you for whom summer has just begun, have fun and enjoy every minute! To those of you, like me, for whom summer is beginning to wind down, I hope you had a great break and try your best to enjoy every last bit of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments; however, this is NOT the place to promote your blog or website. If you do, be aware your comment will be deleted. Please be respectful and use this space to for what it is intended.

Thanks!